Monday 10 August 2015

Smash Burger - A post by Dwew

<< co-pilots note:

Anyone who has read one of these blogs before will know that Mr B always has a funny moment (I'm being polite – don't edit me) on the second night of a trip to North America – on one occasion he almost killed himself wandering across a busy road in Fort Bragg, California, with me and his sister having to bring him back to his senses – well as close as is ever possible. The last time we were in the country he almost went to sleep in his meat at a restaurant in Washington. So in advance of this holiday I made the executive decision (my way of telling him what he must do!!) that on the second night in New York we would go to somewhere I had wanted to go – Smash Burger.

There is a clear rationale for visiting Smash Burger. I became intrigued by them as an organisation around 6-7 years ago when I read a company profile on them. They were in fact started by a former executive of McDonald's who perceived that a shift was likely to happen in the Quick Service Restaurant market from 'fast food' to 'quite quick food', but no other executives would listen. He was, in effect, 'the 10th Man', the Quick Service Restaurant equivalent of Jay Allard. Anyways, he left and started this 'gourmet burger' chain, tending to operate on a franchise basis (hence the odd location growth pattern they have enjoyed). Last time we were here there were no outlets in New York, and even now they are mainly a North USA based company. Since I showed an interest I have been getting a weekly e-mail reminding me I've not visited – so this is my chance to do it – anyone (guess who) who doesn't like it will learn to live with it!

Back on topic dwew. Back on topic.

 My burger was the Classic Smash a smashed pattie with American cheese, Smash Sauce, ketchup, lettuce, tomato and garlicky fried onions on an egg bun. I had this with fries cooked in rosemary and olive oil. In general it was a very, very good burger full of rich flavour. A reminder of how good their burgers are can be seen in their ad.

Mr B had a Buffalo and Blue Cheese burger. A smashed burger with Frank’s Red-hot Buffalo Sauce, blue cheese crumbles, tomato & mayo on an egg bun. His chips were Spicy Buffalo fries which were fries dry seasoned with Frank’s Red-hot sauce and served with a side of ranch dressing. He also ordered fried pickles. I normally take pickles off my burger, but fried they taste much nicer than I expected – so I helped him out with some.


By the time we got to the end of the meal I could see Mr B’s eyes going, so I took care to walk him back in one piece he was in bed by just before 9  >>

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Drew thinks it is the best burger he has had.

      Delete
  2. Good forward planning Drew. I guess the fact you both made it back to the hotel in one piece means he didn't try wandering into the road like he did in Fort Bragg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, I was kept under a strict regime planned by Drew, apparently it is the only way!!

      Delete
  3. I like the way it is served on paper. Never heard about the whole thing about the McD thing before either. Blue cheese crumbles sounds tasty quite got back into blue cheese whilst I was away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue cheese is used a lot out here, especially as crumbles, tasty, but nothing compared to a lovely hunk of Stilton.

      Delete
  4. I like the way it is served on paper. Never heard about the whole thing about the McD thing before either. Blue cheese crumbles sounds tasty quite got back into blue cheese whilst I was away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gone back to making my own blue cheese lately, since giving up work and going into retirement. Started when living on a farm in East Yorkshire and breeding goats. My Bedfordshire Blue is a hard, crumbly cheese - sharp an tangy with the edge of the blue veins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be something worth learning for my time in retirement - remeber my physical competence isn't as good as yours, so hope it is not too difficult. Your description of it sounds like Helen in the Archers talking about Borchester Blue :-)

      Delete